So, how was your Valentine’s Day? Say, what Valentine’s Day? Right, right, the one last week. Did you strike out? Buy overpriced red roses that died the next day? Bought milk chocolate instead of dark chocolate? Totally forgot the day all together?
Well, here’s a thrifty idea sure to patch things up and even win over the Valentine’s Day haters – a home date night jar!
We are blessed to have some great babysitters here, but using their services every week is more than our budget can handle. It’s doable for us to splurge once a month, but what about the rest of the time?
Relaxing with a movie at home is our Friday night activity of choice. But, it can get old. And what if there are no new interesting and/or appropriate movies to watch?
I came across this Home Date Night Jar on Pinterest, and I thought it would be a fabulous Valentine’s Day gift for Doc Sci. It’s ridiculously easy; the hardest part is coming up with ideas that you know you and your significant other will enjoy. To (hopefully) make things easier for you, I’ve listed 35 ideas below.
I scrawled each one on a small scrap of colored paper and then shoved them inside the jar. I threw together a quick label, attached it with packing tape, and voila! Done.
Like my label? Download it here: Date Night Jar Label. I’ve included the color and a B&W version. Free for personal use only, please!
Date Nights at Home – Ideas
- Make Fondue (cheese, pizza, meat, chocolate, etc.)
- Play a board game
- Dig out the cards and play Gin, Rummy, or the like.
- Poker Night – get creative with what to bet with!
- Make Milkshakes and watch That Thing You Do!
- Start a bucket list and post it somewhere that you can both see it and add to it
- Whip up some hot chocolate and sit outside together
- Bake a batch of the most amazing chocolate chip cookies ever
- Do a puzzle together
- Dream about where you want to be in 5 years
- Scour You Tube for hilarious videos
- Mexican fiesta – tacos, chips & salsa, and Nacho Libre
- French theme night – French onion soup, French bread, and watch Amelie
- Italian evening – pizza or pasta, gelato, and The Italian Job
- Korean wave – grilled, marinated chicken or beef, karaoke, and My Sassy Girl
- Have a chocolate tasting and watch Chocolat
- Eat ice cream sundaes and watch old videos you have made
- Write the story of how you met
- Make an Amazing Race audition video
- Order take out and eat it by candle light
- Wii Games – husband’s choice
- Wii Games – wife’s choice
- Find a book you both want to read and take turns reading out loud to each other
- Watch a movie made before 2000
- Be a kid – stock up on junk food and watch your favorite TV series from childhood
- 80s dance party in your living room
- Wine, cheese, and fruit night – keep those pinkies held high!
- Sports Night – watch a game, eat nachos, drink soda, and root for the home team
- Chow down a picnic in your living room
- Cook breakfast for dinner and watch cartoons
- Write silly love notes to each other and hide them around the house
- Eat cake and watch your wedding video
- Bake a dessert from when you were dating and share your favorite memories
- Try your hand at making some gourmet popcorn
- Go to sleep early!
Want more? Check out Six Sisters’ Stuff for hundreds of other ideas.